Vanderbilt University Library Search
Selecting the best search scope for your research needs:
Everything vs. Library Catalog vs. Articles
||What is included?
||When should I use it?
- Broadest search scope
- Results will include books and ebooks, articles, and media like DVDs
- A great option when you are just beginning your research process.
- Use Everything when you want to survey the research landscape for your topic
- Focuses on VU owned items, physical and digital
- Results will include books and ebooks, and media like DVDs
- Digital collections like the TV News Archive will also be included in your results
- You have defined your information needs
- Use Library Catalog when you are ready to create a tailored search for your topic
- Content from selected VU databases
- Popular and scholarly articles
- Use Articles to find popular and scholarly articles on your topic.
- The Articles scope does not search across all databases accessible to the Vanderbilt community.
- Not finding the articles you need or want more database options?
For a more detailed explanation of your search scope options consult What am I searching?