Before choosing what equipment or format to record an interview, it is best to consider where the final product will be stored and how it will be accessed.
Some questions to consider when selecting a recording device include:
- What format will the device use for storage? Is it a common format or proprietary?
- Is the resulting file high quality? If so, how much storage space will you need for a one hour or two hour interview?
- Will you be able to plug the device to an outlet during the interview? If not, are there long-lasting batteries available so you don't have to stop to change batteries in the middle of the interview?
- How portable is the device?
- Is the device easy to set up? Will it require two or more people?