• Guide to Provisional Patent Applications. A primer on patents generally.
See especially the Patents 101 section, pages 4-8, and the Seven Questions
section, pages 8-11. [pdf, 256kb]
• Top Ten Facts about Patents, from The Lens
• Should you apply for a patent at all?
[Right-click on thumbnail to open image in new tab. [jpeg 1600 x 978 px]
Search granted patents and published applications for the U. S. and Europe:
• Google Advanced Patent Search
An approach to reading patents:
• How to Read a Patent in 60 Seconds
"When time’s short, here’s the quick and dirty way to figure out what the patent
covers, usually in under a minute."
• How to Read Patent Claims
A companion to the 60 Seconds link above.
• "C" Is for Classification
In progress: U. S. Patent Classification is being replaced by Cooperative Patent Classification.
Keyword Index to USPC
Keyword search of CPC