Description of the Map Collection
• U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographic maps at various scales, including the 1:24,000, 1:100,000 and 1:250,000 map series covering the United States. These maps are organized by state, then by quadrangle name in the grey map cases against the walls in the Map Room.
• Geologic maps, including USGS and Tennessee Division of Geology folded geologic map series as well as maps from other U.S. state geological surveys. Located in the four-drawer filing cabinets.
• The Geologic Atlas of the United States is a set of 227 folios published by the U.S. Geological Survey between 1894 and 1945. Each folio includes both topographic and geologic maps for each quad represented in that folio, as well as description of the basic and economic geology of the area. The Geologic Atlas collection is available online courtesy of the Texas A&M Libraries.
• Nautical and aeronautical charts.
• Set of folded maps of individual countrys.
• Map indexes, map reference books and map catalogs for buying maps not held by the library.
• Electronic maps, GIS data and software.
• National and international gazetteers on CD-ROM.
• Atlases (print) - most of the atlases are shelved on the Atlas Stand across from the Reference Desk at the front of the library. However, there are a selection of other more specialized atlases in the Map Room.
• Historical Maps - various, mostly TN and the south.
Science & Engineering Library
Stevenson Center 3218
(615) 343-7249 fax