Sarah Shannon Stevenson Science & Engineering Library
2018 Theme: Technology of Space Exploration: Applications to Daily Life
1.The competition is to design and construct a model using only “Zometools” construction pieces and in compliance with competition rules. In addition to a design, the team will explain, in writing, using not more than 250 words, what inspired the particular design and why it was built that way. Designs may involve machines, molecules, organisms, devices, or abstract concepts.
2. First, second, and third prizes will be awarded.
3. This competition is open to currently enrolled Vanderbilt University students. Students from all majors are encouraged to enter.
4. Teams are to be comprised of a minimum of 1 person and a maximum of 4 people. Prizes will be given to each member of a team.
5. Contestants must register at the Service Desk of the Science & Engineering Library.
6. Team registration opens at 7:00 am on Monday, January 29, 2018 and closes at 4:00 pm on Friday, February 16, 2018. A maximum of 9 teams may register. If 9 teams register before 4:00 pm on Friday, February 16, 2018, then registration closes upon the registration of the 9th team.
7. A team may submit only one entry to the competition.
8. Each team will be given identical packs of 258 struts and 100 balls. The design need not use all the pieces in the pack. However, only pieces included in the design pack may be used. Teams may not supply any additional pieces or other materials. A practice pack will be available starting Monday, January 29, 2018. The practice pack will circulate for a maximum of 2 hours.
10. Each registered team will have a maximum of 4 hours to complete a design and written explanation of the design. Upon registration, the team will sign up for a four-hour time slot. The designs will be completed in the allotted time and place. At the start of the four-hour time, the team will be given a pack of pieces, and the team will assemble the design in the Classroom, Science & Engineering Library. Teams may choose a four-hour time slot between Monday, February 5, 2018 and Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
11. Completed designs and descriptions are to be released to the Science & Engineering Library staff. Designs will be locked away until judging.
12. Entries will be judged on the creativity, originality, usefulness, non-obviousness of the design created, and in accordance with the year's theme.
13. Judging will take place on Wednesday, February 21, 2018. Winners will be notified by e-mail when they may collect their prizes.
14. Entries will be on display in the Sarah Shannon Stevenson Science & Engineering Library starting February 21, 2018. Zome pieces will remain the property of Vanderbilt University.
15. The decisions of the judges are final and no challenges will be entertained. There is no whining in engineering!
Teams who submit photos of the build in progress will win t-shirts! Contestants understand that submitted photos may be used by the library for publicity purposes.
Questions? Contact the Science and Engineering Service desk at 615-322-2775.